- Swancon was most excellent, I got the Stargate there without injury to it or me or chaosmanor plus we won a Tin Duck for the Stargate \o/
- Much love to brother J who loaned out his ute to make transport possible.
- Visited the gaming room, met some lovely people, went to some panels... Gail Simone on writing genderfluidity was interesting as was a retrospective of Disney's 'Renaissance' years and a look at the last five years of Rebel Empire.
- Spent some time with family, which for the most part was excellent. Will never again attempt to explain why the internet is not a magical land where people are gender neutral because they can't see each other. Ah who am I kidding.
- Kiba accidentally bit me while wrestling for a ball, waiting to see how much it's going to purple up. I am going to retaliate with embarrassing clothes for woofers.
- Am trapped between Blood Donor clinic who won't let me donate because I have a note on my file from 2008,and my GP who refuses to clear me because he doesn't know what they are worried about... *sigh* so much effort to get stuck full of needles.
- Cleaned the gutters with chaosmanor as our contribution to managing cyclone and fire danger - it’s warm up there on the roof!
- Discussed a plan of attack for the blown kitchen lights with my father who knows things (water and electrical damage methinks). I foresee some crawling around in the ceiling with a torch, some silicone glue and a pair of pliers in my immediate future but need to find a good time. I think both House Martians should be home to provide moral support and turn things on and off (and call an ambulance if things go horribly wrong). Also I kind of want a full body suit with a hood since last time I was up there I had a powerful urge to burn EVERTHING I was wearing after.
- Braces tightened… it’s been five days and I’m still not back to solid foods *practices self pity* (realistically I'm already quite good at self pity and would benefit more from practicing say, Spanish or maybe Relentless Optimism). On the plus side I have blue elastics \o/
- Discovered our awesome new hanging chairs can be used as hammocks if you put your feet in one as well. PLUS if you get your knees right when the woofer drops a tennis ball in your lap it falls straight out again.
- Skipped Big Day Out, was sad but hit physical discomfort limit and wasn’t going to be able to enjoy it, got a bit mournful when baby brother starting texting me things like RAMSTEIIIIIIIIIIN and coped by sending him random German words from my pitiful German vocabulary - mostly learned from said baby bro who gets excited *loves*.
- Went house hunting with chaosmanor and cupidsbow - we agree on the kind of house we want to live in - now narrowing down what locations are acceptable. Operation: Queer Feminist Commune is Go! *drowns in finance paperwork and co-ownership contracts*
- Woofer now on the small doses of joint powder (after three weeks of trying to hide it (being the large doses) in various foods) - have to try out a decent long run and see how he holds up after.
- Vetting phase 2 now complete, we've discussed and/or re-checked all the question marks - most of the talking and paperwork we did in Club Zing which does a magnificent raspberry raw food cake. Next step triple check new changes are correct on maps then printing!
- BBQ and combined hopscotch / snakes & ladders game at going away party for two friends who are moving over East to live. I usually come away from social contact with my brothers feeling ridiculous amounts of love for them, this was no exception.
- Rogaine Vetting - fantastic weather.
- We took the woofer and he bounced happily all over the place and made friends at cafes. We met a 4 month old Irish wolfhound puppy that was 90% elbows and HUGE paws and I got compliments on Kenobi’s training - or maybe he got compliments on his awesome personality :)
- The Guildford Hotel has a lot of socks tied to it, it still hasn’t been restored since the Sep’08 fire. I wanted to add a sock but wasn't quite up for hiking around in a sockless boot.
- I acquired the v. exciting phone number of a potter who may be able to make me the perfect bowls, have an ambiguous date for ‘some time on the 17-19th at the Fremantle Markets’ to discuss said bowls.
- _lemmings needed a tall person to help prepare for her first ever rental inspection so maharetr and I headed over and scrubbed things to her thoughtfully chosen soundtrack of bouncy music which I must now acquire..
- Saw How To Train Your Dragon which was unexpectedly awesome, it was kind of like what Avatar should have been but wasn’t.
- Lunch with Father and sister J. - my rocks have not been moved from last weeks exacting placement which is pleasing to me.
- Saw Conan the Destroyer which was terrible but improved by colour commentary with brothers and Az (who has adopted black leather pants as casual wear - I am not sure if what I am feeling is respect)
- Father is back from gallivanting all over France, we caught up and spent some time working on the new, smaller pond and discussing rock placement and the right volume for trickling water. Very good to see him again :)
- G. and I met P. and started our November Novelty Event Rogaine vetting, was good fun and involved a lot of walking and picking up a lot of trivia
- PC is with baby brother for maintenance, both monitors have dieded which makes me sad ( I have warranty hopes for one of them). Am living entirely off the iPad right now
- Have watched Top Gun and Hot Shots with maharetr, who sadly missed these 'classics' on account of being born too late to appreciate them.
- Bought a ridiculously expensive plasma television and had the fun of connecting it to various peripherals then the more substantial fun of playing all sorts of things on it to see what it does. We've retired the projector and now there is a wall of sleek, black 'stuff.'
- Went paddling Saturday morning, got very wet. Also got smacked on the head with a paddle during polo, small bump has mostly receded.
- Took my beloved hiking boots back to Paddy Palins to find ones that don’t let water in (wet socks are not fun) with the secondary goal of buying another pair of the same boots to continue to wear to work. V. nice man confirmed water should not be in boots and sent them off for a warranty inspection. A quick old-new comparison shows I’ve almost completely worn down those multidirectional lugs.
- Hike was good fun! maharetr, ascetic_hedony, Ginny, the woofer and I did 10.4km at about 5.7 km/hr and got to watch the sun go down over the ocean as we walked and chatted. The Naked Fig is far too classy to be a café and their hot chocolate is not sufficiently chocolaty.
- Sunday morning was plumbing support for transcendancing, who has dripping taps (now she has replacements, WD-40 and an increased desire to hit things), followed by cuddles and talks.
- Mother's Day dinner was peaceful except for the bit where Magic (my mother's cat) tried to kill brother R. by attacking his hair (a fruitless task, there is more hair than cat) - possibly revenge for R. nicknaming his cat 'Squidlington.'
- Traded 3 laptops for a recommission of one, a second wireless keyboard, a promise of a pair of pants and access to a really big ladder - my brothers and I have a complicated but highly successful barter system.
- It turns out the wood saw maharetr and I speculated was stolen by one of our fathers was actually stolen by my mama who also suffers from the delusion that none of her children owns a power drill *mystified*
- Watched the first half of S1 Dante’s Cove with friends, it is awful and hypnotic and I am kind of in love. Active audience participation always helps!
- Stubbed right foot, little toe is a weird size/colour right now - am avoiding closed shoes. If I stub Jutopia does it count as an act of aggression?
- Lunch with brothers and mother turned into a UFC fest with excitable commentary (Nogueira, ouch, Bisping WTF?) followed by some Olympic luge (ouch to Oz performance, whee! to the costumes) and the White Ferns avenging last year’s Rose Bowl loss (women’s cricket, NZ vs Oz). Tried and failed to successfully link Joanna Russ’ How to Suppress Women’s Writing in a discussion about why women’s sports are not nearly as popular. Next time :p
- Finally made a mix to play at the gym, has many songs but could really just contain Clubbed to Death and Requiem for a Dream on repeat – will refine over time. maharetr gave me Remember the Name by The Rising Tied which has the right kind of vibe. This is the kind of mentality that leads to watching UFC isn’t it?
- Talked to lilysea about a bunch of interesting stuff including when to speak out, why we accept 'because' as an explanation for doing things and how we know when we're happy.
- Watched TED talk by Rory Sutherland: Life Lessons from an add man
- Launched AO3 Open Beta and helped coordinate some bug fixes
- Fixed the shade sail that wore through it's mooring
- Did a 3 hour exam and finished my first MBA unit (1/12th of an MBA done!)
- Delivered birthday presents to brother J.
- Avenue Q - saw with no prior knowledge at all and loved it
- Monthly slash gathering - have now seen pilot for White Collar and fully understand the enthusiasm
- Holiday in one week!
- My plan to achieve higher physical health through knitting and watching television is coming to fruition. Only one headache this weekend and not nearly as exhausted and foggy. Supernatural for the win! I choose to enjoy this show despite various problems. Flashforward 1x05 - still enjoyable, Merlin 2x05 & 2x06 - very silly. 3-16 of Legend of the Seeker - I’m hypnotised by the sheer amount of chest area showing on everyone under 90. This isn’t very dignified TV watching, it involves a lot of yelping at critical *cough* plot and costume points.
- Houseguests in the form of doofus and M = cuddles, very little sleep and a lot of mugs of tea.
- Brunch with Mama, J., his parents, doofus and M. I bought a really nice sourdough multigrain and devoured it slowly over the next few days
- I’m going to come short on yarn for my knitting project and must now attempt to hunt down a matching dye run. Wahh.
- My food shopping this weekend consisted almost entirely of dairy products and dried fruit.
- Got blood tests for various hormones, phlebotomist was very good – barely felt it.
- Brother J. broke his thumb at work and has an impressive cast immobilising everything, he is deeply unimpressed by being demoted from primate status
- Birthday dinner for brother R. was quite something, managed to find a shirt of a band he hasn't heard of that he might like with a picture he would like regardless. I win at birthday presents this year :)
- Watched 28 Weeks Later with J. – spurred passionate pre-dinner conversation about zombie moves and books, and some mid-dinner conversation about how to fortify our parents houses against the various types (Resident Evil zombies are easy, you just build a wire fence). Mama is reluctant to barricade the staircase and set fire to it but we are working on her – she only has to survive until we turn up to rescue her anyway :p
- Flu from last week over, was very nice. Sore, shivery and exhausted but no snot = win
- Have had my first day of not putting loads of wax on the braces to cover the sharp bits - cheeks are adapting
- Have $50 credit with iTunes, can mine the recent discussions on women in music for new songs
- PC lost another HDD, have replaced with new HDD and wireless keyboard. Backups restored with zero data loss *smug*
- Pilates still stealthily hard work, you think it was easy then you realise how much it burns
- Dinner with brothers while watching an episode of MasterChef, we had some spirited arguments about food. I explained the concept of ‘tv boyfriend’ - baby brother promptly claimed Jeff Probst from Survivor; I am unsurprised
- Am putting aside time to read, need ‘me’ time and have a ridiculous ‘to read’ pile
- still recovering from dentist stuff, more to come
- finished first sleeve, started knitting second one
- took baby brother and his crutches clothes shopping - made him buy an iron too
- baby bro pointed out a random bunny that likes visiting and mentioned they had kittens last week - what next? Fawns and bluebirds?
- assisted house-moving efforts by carrying furniture and boxes
- took blue inserts out from hair - getting far enough away from the roots to be annoying
- Wolverine was fun, I am in it for the explosions and muscly running so don't need more.
- AO3 code deploy - many bugs fixed, some new stuff and much more.
- Visited step sister, house broken into and car stolen but car returned and man arrested. She has friends staying and the window that was removed has been bolted down.
- Visited brothers', baby brother has new cast after foot surgery and will not be walking anywhere for a few weeks, middle brother has given me a budget for buying him clothes. Win!
- Gave pentapus back to the world, she gave me an awesome picture of me, maharetr and the woofer doing a deal with Veronica from Better off Ted. *worships*
EDIT 9:58 pm Best. Idea. Ever. They ran neck and neck at my left knee for 4km. It was like synchronised swimming except with dogs, they should have been wearing tutus or something. ( Kenobi and Wendy )
Night of company and singing with fred_mouse; and company. Pity I can't sing but all you have to do is hang out with louder people than you.
Family time with mother who came over bright and early to woofer walk and have breakfast with me.
Embarrassing failure to secure sound card tightly enough resulted in having to dissect the whole freakin box and put it back in again. The benefits were immeasurable because vegetariansushi; shared her delightful giggle with maharetr and cupidsbow as we watched the SGA pilot. This is hilarious, I've mostly related to SGA through the fic and I'm watching this and having the BEST time.
In other news, washed clothes, walked around lake Monger, didn't get fined by the ranger for dogs off leash, bought five chairs for the dining room that have the incredible quality of not falling apart, got a wireless keyboard [loves] and spent some happy hours talking science over lunch. I also visited my beloved brother and had a long and lovely time catching up over very weak coffee as he has no teabags.
I win at life.
Did a combined training class of TKD at the Point Walter Reserve, did much training, running (gah, hills) and general playing, did play tug of war, did have a good time. ED: have interesting bruises.
Was to meet not_sister at Civic Center in Cott. for hens night pre-wedding activities. I had trouble finding them but had a second offer from some folks under a tree who offered me beer so wasn't fussed. Shopped for kayak racks, should be able to pick them up Wednesday after work. Found not_sister and was chastised for not wearing a frock. Played croquet, we had a nice afternoon catching up and chatting. Was very good to see my not_father and not_mother.
Was refused entry at the Sail and Anchor because of BYO icecream. A DEADLY weapon indeed. I hates places that do that.
My Great Grandparents
My Great, Great Grandparents
1What *do* you call the daughter of your great aunt2?
2Coolest great aunt ever BTW.
At least I choose to assume it's deliberate.
This year mine read 'Merry Christmas' and on the baby brother's card his name was misspelled.
I just posted a card that says 'Congratulations it's a GIRL!'
One of the women at work knows a family that recycle the cards; you put in a new note and keep them circulating. I'm attracted to this idea - in a way you are recycling the love.
Oh and my S-Puppy is kinda.. huge and licky. I miss Kenobi, I hope he is getting lots of cuddles.
( Cairns )( Diving )
Am going to Fraser Island with Father, S-Mother and S-Brother - Woo Woo!
FridayGo the retail therapy. The restorative powers of shopping are well documented although I'm thinking it has more to do with the quality of the people you shop with. cricketk read out a list of 'top' books published by a local bookstore and now I keep seeing the ones I haven't read out of the corner of my eye - this process is facilitated by lurking in bookstores of course; I'm not seeing them on bus stops - more's the pity.
Wallowed in the company of good people and stayed up way too late making periodic hot chocolate for terribly cute people installed in couch, (optional extra feature but unlike Microsoft you choose to install them).
Go the retail therapy.
Walked woofer and accidentally ended up on the route of a duathlon (sp?) biathlon? thingy, was glacially slow and failed to connect people bounding and cycling past in tiny lycra outfits with sporting event til I met some women handing out plastic cups of water - they desperately needed some lead weights on account of high winds.
Had a brief "I want to do that too!" moment before remembering how I actually feel about running.
Go the retail therapy.
Dinner with mother and various friends including Chrissie who has never forgiven me for asking "Why are you so fat?" when we first met. I would like to point out that I was eight and even if it was a drastic failure of courtesy the finger of outrage should be pointed at my mother, who as my guide in all things sociable could have trained me better and hey it's been 22 years right?
Mother supportively asked me how I was, and in the belief that she has to love me anyway what the whole firstborn daughter thingy, I told her.